Tuesday, July 14, 2009

it's been awhile...

I love the summer. I love tomatoes and to be completely honest I think that's why I love the summer. A nice juicy heirloom tomato with salt is my idea of a good time. But, I can't really find it in my heart or stomach to like squash and unfortunately the only things actually growing in my garden are squash and when squash plants are close together they cross pollinate and you get weird squash that you don't even know what to do with. Now that's my predicament. But I did find a recipe from the local CSA for zucchini pickles. Most people wouldn't even dare, but they are surprisingly delicious.

Zucchini Pickles

2 cups cider vinegar
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp. turmeric
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
2 tsp. ground mustard seed
2 tsp. celery seed
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. salt
1 onion-halved and sliced thin
1 pound zucchini-thinly sliced (kind of like pickles)

Combine the vinegar, sugar, turmeric, cloves, mustard seed, celery seed, ginger, and salt in a saucepan and bring to a boil. (It will be stinky). Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Bring the mixture back to a boil and add the onion. Cook for 1 minute. Add the zucchini slices and stir, pushing them under the liquid for about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool completely. Put in mason jars and store in the refrigerator. If you know how to can things, go for it. I still am not so good at it, so I just put them in the fridge to eat over the next few days.

These pickles went with this delicious burger, on homemade milk and honey bread with farmer's market tomatoes and onions. I got the meat from Fiedler Family Farms. It's the best. They're at the Bardstown Rd. Farmer's Market on Saturdays.



4 comments:

  1. Well I'll be. Who knew you could make such a thing as zucchini pickles. This is why I LOVE this challenge. People are always teaching me things.

    Welcome to the Go Local 2009 challenge, Katie Lee. It's lovely to meet you.
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Heather! What a cool challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is nothing like homemade bread. I got a bread machine last year to make it more possible to make bread with two little ones in tow. I think I would rather eat a piece of hot fresh bread than anything else in the world, I'd love the recipe for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://southernfood.about.com/od/breadmachine/r/r71128e.htm There it is...it's yummy.

    ReplyDelete