Monday, June 22, 2009

Blueberry Muffins ala Ina Garten minus the streusel


Whenever I make a recipe for the first time I don't like to get all crazy
with it and start adding stuff or subtracting stuff. So because this is a first time recipe I will try it exactly how it is in her new book, Barefoot Contessa back to basics minus the streusel (I don't have enough butter).

The better the ingredients the better the food. It is hard to convince most people of this simple fact. They would prefer to get the better deal on an apple than on most other things. I, on the other hand, probably would choose a five dollar specialty heirloom apple in hopes of simply making my food taste better. So for this recipe I have used farmer's market blueberries, local buttermilk, and local flour. I always have issues with sugar. It is hard to bake with organic sugar and after trying to several times in attempts to make all organic everything, I cannot bring myself to say that organic sugar is better. Maybe if I go to culinary school and someone teaches me exactly how to make it work I will change my mind.


The recipe:
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (I like organic King Arthur flour)
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar (regular sugar)
4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder (I use aluminum-free)
1 teaspoon baking soda (aluminum free)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 cups buttermilk, shaken
1/4 pound (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest (totally not local, but I did ask for a dwarf rangpur lime tree for my birthday)
2 extra-large eggs (from Grasshopper CSA)
2 cups fresh blueberries (from farmer's market)

Oven temp: 375

Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in large bowl.


Whisk buttermilk, butter, lemon zest, and eggs in separate bowl.


Stir buttermilk mixture into dry mixture very gently.


Fold in blueberries.


Now here is where my mom always gets me. I overfill muffin tins because I like muffins to be big, but most people fill them only 3/4 of the way full. It's up to you, but the cooking time varies. If 3/4 full cook for 20-25 minutes. If overly full, cook for about 35-40 minutes, until golden brown.


Serve warm with some butter. My favorite spreading butter is cultured butter with sea salt. Delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment