Thursday, August 26, 2010

Fig Jam


Thanks to Ms. Betty's suggestion as I'm sitting at school eating figs right from the carton, I made this fig jam to spread on fresh bread with butter.

It's as simple as this....

Fig Jam
1 carton of organic figs (They were only $2.99 at Whole Foods)
2 t. white sugar
pinch of salt (I think a tiny bit of salt with fruit always brings out the flavor)

1.  Slice the figs in half or in quarters depending on the size.
2. Place in pan with sugar and a pinch of salt.
3.  Cook on low for about 8-10 minutes, using a potato smasher (or whatever it's called), to make into a jam like consistency.

If you cook it for about 3-4 minutes and don't smash it, and maybe add a little bit more sugar, it would be really yummy on some Greek yogurt or vanilla ice cream.  But, alas, I don't like sweet things, so much to Trey's chagrin, we will be eating it on salty buttered levain toast.

2 comments:

  1. Yay, Whole Foods! I've been trying to find fresh figs. This sounds great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, figs have really grown on me lately. For the longest time I didn't like their earthiness, but in the past month or so, I have tried them a coupe of times and was really pleasantly surprised. This friend of mine at work makes a really yummy fresh salad with them. She quarters them, throws them in a bowl, adds feta crumbles, and drizzles olive oil over it. Add a little salt and pepper and you have yourself a very refreshing snack!
    I also like fig spread with goat cheese and caramelized onions on toast! mmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete