Sunday, August 30, 2009

basic tomato sauce recipe


basic tomato sauce

7-8 large tomatoes, cut up with skins on or off, it really doesn't matter (heirlooms make yummy sauce)
5 cloves garlic, chopped, not minced
about 1 t. salt or to taste
1/3 cup olive oil
1 bunch Italian parsley, chopped

I literally combine everything in a pot and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down and simmer until desired consistency. I think the trick is to add an entire bunch of Italian parsley after the heat is turned off, and to always serve it topped with authentic Parmesan. Sometimes I add 1 pound browned Italian sausage, especially when I am serving it with penne, spaghetti, or in a lasagna.

*you can substitute 2 28oz. cans whole San Marzano tomatoes when tomatoes are not in season.




1 comment:

  1. I'm always too intimidated to try my own sauce, but you make it look easy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete